***Making eBay Safer and Easier with PayPal***
Buyers and sellers rank security as a primary concern when doing business online, which is why eBay and PayPal are committed to your security.
In an effort to continue to improve trust & safety for both buyers and sellers in the marketplace, we would like to update you on a number of changes that will be happening internationally.
What changes are being made?
Many of our eBay international sites will require sellers listing items for sale overseas (sites other than ebay.com.sg, ebay.com.my, or ebay.ph) to offer PayPal on their listings as one of their safe modes of payment:
How does this improve the buyer and selling experience?
- In mid March, ebay.com began requiring sellers to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as one of the safe payment options to buyers for:
- Items listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints
- New sellers with less than 100 feedback
- For sellers with higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates
Learn more about ebay.com safe payment options.
- In late March, eBay UK also began requiring items listed on ebay.co.uk to offer PayPal on listings for all sellers who have a feedback score of less than 100 (regardless of feedback percentage) and for items in specific categories. Learn more
- Starting 23rd May in Australia, all items sold on ebay.com.au will require sellers to offer PayPal as one of the safe payment options. Learn more
- On 3rd June, ebay.co.uk will require PayPal to be offered on all listings for all sellers. Learn more
- On June 17th, all items sold on ebay.com.au will require all sellers to only offer PayPal on their listings. No other payment methods will be permitted*. Learn more
Currently, with PayPal offered on around 95% of items for sale on eBay, our data shows that buyers are less likely to have a bad experience when they pay with PayPal, which results in building trust and driving more trade.
PayPal keeps transactions secure, especially behind the scenes with industry leading fraud prevention tools, over 2,000 fraud experts 24/7, and proven results with industry-leading loss rates of <0.5%. Plus, for added security, PayPal has the highest industry encryption available, credit card and bank verification, and offers protections programmes for buyers and sellers.
Why is this important to you?
With PayPal offered as a payment option, buyers can shop with more confidence and protection across eBay’s international websites and sellers can benefit from being more likely to sell their items while reducing their loses.
For buyers, PayPal means:
- More security: No sharing financial details with sellers, reducing possibilities of identity theft.
- More protection: Free purchase protection for eligible items bought on international sites and paid with PayPal.
- More confidence: 80% of US buyers said they would be more likely to buy again if PayPal is offered.
For sellers, offering PayPal means:
- More security: No sharing of financial details with buyers or worries about storing their financial information.
- More reliability: Lowers unpaid item rates by nearly half.
- More sales: Increases repeat purchases by 80% and successful sales by 20%.
- Less Disputes: Four times less likely to have a buyer complaint - saving you money!
For more information, check the Accepted Payments Policy page for the site you are listing on to be sure you know the Safe Payment Requirements.
Happy and Safe Trading!
The eBay and PayPal teams
* A small number of exclusions will apply to these changes
Consumer advisory: The PayPal™ payment service is regarded as a stored value facility under Singapore law. PayPal Pte. Ltd., the Holder of the PayPal™ stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms and conditions of use carefully.