November 14, 2006 | 05:42PM a SGT
While over 95% of our members today use up to date browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari to access the Internet, the remaining 5% are still using antiquated browser software or non-standard browsers that have very low usage. Supporting this software has an increasing number of direct and indirect costs to eBay and the Community, and can cause safety issues (eg: when they’re not updated with the latest security technology).
In keeping with overall industry trends, we're going to adopt new Web browser support guidelines for the new features that we develop. For the Community, this means that members using certain outdated versions of browsers, or browsers with very low adoption rates, may experience site issues or errors as we introduce new features or make other site changes. (Read our Web Browser Recommendations for Using eBay Help page to see a list of browsers and versions we recommend.)
Instituting these guidelines will provide several benefits for members and eBay alike:
- Using current browser technology means that you have the latest browser security features that help protect you and the whole Community against phishing and other types of Internet fraud.
- You will receive the optimum site experience. Using old browsers can cause performance issues or other errors or problems on the site.
- Streamlining which browsers we support will enable eBay to respond more rapidly to deliver features that better meet the Community’s needs.
Upgrade Early for the Optimum Experience
We want to make sure we offer members the support they need to upgrade their browsers before they encounter a site issue. For more information about browsers we support, please see our Web Browser Recommendations for Using eBay Help page.
Please note: There will be no immediate change for members using browsers that aren't on our recommended browser list. While our guidelines are in effect now, members may still use unsupported browsers. However, over time, if you are using a browser that isn’t on our recommended list, you could experience errors and other issues.
eBay Singapore Team